Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fourteenth Weigh-In: Overkill

I know I'm very late in posting this, especially considering it's good news. We have out-of-town guests and I'm distracted by the fun we're having. Sue me! (Please don't.)

You'll recall that last week I put out a contract on the five pounds I gained. Well, the weight assassin went to work. He even put in a little overtime. I'm down eight-and-a-half pounds! I attribute it to two things: daily weigh-ins and consistent exercise.
Getting on a scale every day can be a scary thing. You'll be down a pound one day and up two the next day. It can be an emotional roller coaster. To keep things in perspective I applied a trending formula used by stock analysts for decades.

It turns this . . .

. . . into this.

The blue dots are my daily weights. They're all over the place! The red line is the trend. This is a good trend as it's heading down. As long as I keep my daily weights below the trend line they will "pull the trend line down." (That's good.) If a daily weight comes in above the trend line, it will "pull the trend line up." (That's bad.)

I walked for at least an hour six days last week.  Technically I speed walk as I'm going more than 3.7 miles per hour, but I don't like the idea of being associated with those heel-toe-heel-toe weirdos.  I walk fast.  Period.  I skip Sundays.  The body needs to rest.  Two days last week I set a personal best distance which led to a personal best total weekly distance.  Here is something I never thought I'd write.  I'm actually enjoying the exercise.  My ipod is loaded with about sixty hours of audio-book goodness and that makes the time fly by.

All in all, I have to say that I'm happy with my progress.  I know I've got to keep working.  I can't coast.  (Keep the blue dots down!)  The work is manageable.  At times, it's enjoyable.

2 comments:

Gamer Queen said...

I continue to be so proud of you! My walks are not nearly as strenuous, (15 minutes to UWP and 15 mins back,) but your continued success makes me walk harder ever day! I am down a total of 8.6 lbs since starting WW four week ago, and you will continue to be my hero. Pom pom salute for ALL of us!

Love all four of you, Aunt E.

Gamer Queen said...

Comment #2- Start posting again when your officially "back!" I love to hear about it and I will shake my pom poms from afar, and maybe we'll take a walk together very soon!