Friday, August 31, 2007

Friday (Dark) Knight

Here is a beautiful piece by one of our favorite artists, Andy Lee. There is a print of it available for sale here.

Monkey-Girl and I would get a new original sketch by Andy Lee each year while attending Wizard World Chicago. He describes himself as a zen artist. I love his work for its minimalism. Just look at this! There's only a few lines and yet the subject is obvious. Watching him work is thrilling, and (I think) connects the viewer to the piece on a deeper level.

During my mother's visit last year, we hung our six original pieces in the dining room. We've got: Morpheus (Sandman), Ogami Itto (Lone Wolf and Cub), Gandolf the Grey (The Lord of the Rings), Trinity (The Matrix), Hellboy (uh . . .), and the arch-angel Michael casting Satan out of Heaven.

Because it happens so late in the summer and Tennessee schools start so early, I've missed the last two Wizard World Chicago conventions. It's just one of the little sacrifices we've made to come to seminary.

In 2008, the show will be in June. I'll be on break. I think I know what I'll be having Mr. Lee sketch.

No comments: