Monday, April 20, 2009

My Exclamation Point

It may seem strange that I take comfort from a podcast with the above logo. When has Cthulhu ever offered comfort? The truth of it is that I found my shred of hope while standing outside for morning bus duty and listening to the latest episode of Pseudopod.

Pseudopod is a weekly horror story podcast. Listen for free and are actually encouraged to share the audio files as long as you don't mess with them and you give proper credit. It is actually considered a professional market as they pay their authors. In an era of collapsing print venues, it's great to hear the short story isn't going the way of the dinosaur.

"Come to My Arms, My Beamish Boy," by Douglas F. Warrick is a horror story for sure, but there's a truth to it lifted my spirits. After listening to this, I am happy to refer to Monkey-Girl as my exclamation point. If you can stomach it, I recommend you take the half hour to listen.

If horror isn't your thing, I can also recommend Pseudopod's sister podcasts: Escape Pod and PodCastle. Science fiction is handled by Escape Pod while PodCastle takes on fantasy. All three try to stick to a 30 to 40 minute run time so that a listener can enjoy a story during his or her commute.

No comments: