Saturday, January 22, 2011

Second Weigh-In


People can be too nice.

In the past, I has described myself as obese. "No!" came the cry. "You look fine and your happy. That's what counts."

ATTENTION: Obesity is not subjective! It is medically defined as having a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or more. Guess what "friends". I'm obese. I have class III obesity in fact. Further, before I started doing something about my weight, I was half a point away from being MORBIDLY OBESE!

By thinking of obesity as a hyperbolic form of over weight we're robbing it of it's power. No one I've actually met has done the things Hitler did. When I hear someone being compared to Hitler I naturally dismiss the veracity of the claim. Being obese is dangerous and real.

So, in order to lower my BMI I have been following Weight Watchers new program and the first week's results are in. I am now 4.1% lighter than when I started. It was a big loss and I know I can't keep that up for long. It's very encouraging though. If I lose a very reasonable 2 pounds a week between now and Thanksgiving, I'll be (officially) overweight in time for Turkey Day!

1 comment:

Gamer Queen said...

I'm very proud of you! I know you have the willpower and stamina to keep this up, and I'll be cheering the whole way!