Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The Chosen One


Classics Rodimus, available now from Hasbro toys, is my current favorite Transformer. He is a re-imagining of the original Hot Rod toy from 1986. The trademark on the name Hot Rod has since lapsed so Hasbro had to come up with something else. They turned to the 1986 animated movie Transformers. In it a brash young Hot Rod realizes his potential and becomes leader of the Autobots during their darkest hour. His new authority is coupled with a new name: Rodimus Prime.

Although much maligned within the fan community, I have held a special place for Hot Rod in my heart for the over twenty years now. At the time the animated movie came out there was a lot of bad stuff going on in my family. Being ten, I was quite impressionable and found myself connecting with the character voiced by Judd Nelson.

Hot Rod/Rodimus will not be appearing in Michael Bay's film this summer or (consequently) on the toy shelves. This will most likely be the last plastic incarnation of my personal hero for some time. I'm just going to enjoy.

By the way, does anyone else notice how sad Rodimus looks? He seems a little emo to me. Is it the fact that Hasbro lost his name. Maybe he just needs a hug.

No comments: