Friday, April 6, 2007

Meet the Headmasters


From the upper left and continuing clockwise: Hardhead, Chromedome, Brainstorm, Cerebros, and Highbrow. These guys are twenty years old and were the beginning of the end for the original Transformers toy line.

Hasbro decided to roll out an entire subline of toys based on a gimmick. These guys heads come off (on purpose) and change into little robots:


As cool as these guys are (and they are SO cool), Hasbro continued with line-expanding gimmicks. This eventually led to the Action Masters, Transformers that didn't transform. (For cereal.)

I like to take these out of context. I enjoy them for what they were not what they begot. Besides, part of the line was Fortress Maximus, the largest Transformer figure ever made.

BEHOLD!


At twenty-four inches tall he is mighty. He is rare. Even in 1987, when he released, he was hard to find. (Moms and dads are always a hard sale on toys in the three-figure price range.) Every once in a while I'll catch him out of the corner of my eye and his enormity gives me pause.

I think I should stop now before I get too deep about Transformers on Good Friday. God bless!

No comments: