Thursday, September 18, 2008

Braking My Spirit

I try not to make this blog into a glorified whine session. Bare with me. At least appreciate my clever play on words.

Our Volkswagen's brake light switch died. So the brake lights were constantly burning even when the car wasn't running. Fortunately, VW has a recall on that particular part so they'll replace it for free. Unfortunately, we had to get it replaced at a dealership over an hour's drive away and in the eastern time zone. Still, we could work that. Then the VW's battery died right before we were supposed to leave. However; friend, Jason, was great enough to give us a jump start.

We were determined to make. We could have made it. We SHOULD have made it.

Then the accident happened.

NOT TO US! A car on it's way to Chattanooga was in an accident ahead of us. That's why we were crawling on the interstate for twenty minutes. That's why Phoebe (normally an excellent car rider) started to cry ferociously. The next exit was into downtown Chattanooga. We pulled into the Visitors Center parking lot and were immediately offered the use of someone's parking tag. (A bright spot to the evening.) Monkey-Girl changed Phoebe out of our trunk while I finally found the correct fuse to pull to get those darn brake lights off.

In order order to salvage the night, I asked that we go to TGI Friday's. It was nice, but Monkey-Girl's meal was cut short as she had to feed Phoebe. (We hadn't properly prepared for me to be able to feed her.) I finished and joined my girls in the VW. Needed a bit more of a boost, we found our way to the Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shop. Sated, we trudged home, the car no better off than when we had started.

The next day, I drove the VW another hour away (different direction) to another VW dealership. The repair is done, but the toll has been taken. Thank goodness my in-laws are coming to relieve us this weekend!

No comments: