Monday, September 8, 2008

Frazz Is Therapy for My Soul

Today's Frazz comic by Jef Mallet is a a perfect example of why I love this strip. I particularly like the one-two punch of the teacher not leaving tips (not an issue here as I'm a former bartender) and riding on a converging train (think about it).

Frazz is a successful songwriter turned janitor at his old elementary school. He is also the school's most respected educator. Caulfield is a precocious young man who always seems to be getting into trouble for knowing more than his teacher. Early on the the series there was an extended period of time devoted to poking fun at standardized testing. Caulfield got a very low score as he refused to take the high-stakes test seriously and used the answer sheet to create pixilated versions of great works of art.

Some teachers love Frazz. Others despise it. They see the jabs at the mentality of the system as pokes at themselves. I say that if you are offended you should examine why. Personally, I see Frazz as a touchstone. I never want to be like Mrs. Olsen.

Why am I a math educator? To get young people to solve quadratic equations by completing the square? I should hope not. I see my time with students as a way of preparing them to solve life's problems. The way through any difficulty can be examined as a series of simple steps and procedures. The challenge comes from going from the concrete (problems in the book) to the abstract (securing a mortgage).

You can check Frazz out for yourself each day by clicking here.

3 comments:

Gamer Queen said...

I totally agree my brother. I am glad there are teachers like you; willing to explain things by steps (no matter how slowly or arduously) so that a complete idea can be realized at the end. I wish there were more teachers like you. =-) BTW, I greatly enjoyed the Frazz you sent me via email.

Much love, and kiss the kid and the wife for me.

Auntie E =-)

R said...

Can you explain the Frazz from a few days later (the one where Caulfield rates Mrs Olsen's lesson on factors as an umlaut on a scale of nil to omega)?

Kate said...

Know what I love most about Frazz?

He's a triathlete. :)