Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Fourth Commandment



After the crazy weekend we had, Monkey-Girl, Phoebe, Mercutio, and I decided to sleep in, have a really nice breakfast (I cooked), cuddle (all four of us), watch Clerks II, and do some light house work.

God--not so strangely--was right. We need a sabbath. How can we be expected to give our best any other time if we don't take some time to recharge?

I once heard that if you like a pair of shoes enough to wear them everyday you should buy two pair and rotate wearing them every day. The result, I'm told, is that the shoes last twice as long. Instead of one pair lasting a year, you'll have two pair lasting four.

This may not work for a certain demographic, but the point is still valid. Shoes--like people--last longer when they are allowed to rest. Besides, God commanded it, and shouldn't we be rested in order to give him our absolute best?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree on the Sabbath, like take me: skip the first two classes of the day to write a paper, is that what you mean?

And Clerks 2? Not a sabbath, go with Dogma or Mall Rats.