Thursday, March 5, 2009

Over Two Years in the Making: The 200th Post!


I've been putting-off updating because of the perceived weight of my 200th blog post. What to write about? Transformers? Star Wars? Dungeons & Dragons?

After days of mounting, self-imposed stress it fell into my lap. My dad and I were talking on the phone after having been out of contact for a while. He's recently purchased a new computer and set up internet access. I told him about Penguin Postings. Suddenly, I had a topic.

Many of you have read about my love of Batman. This is rooted in watching the super-campy 60's series in reruns each afternoon from an early age. As time went by my grandma had my dad take his childhood comic collection out her basement. It was moved to our basement were it soon became this reluctant reader's first steps into the literary world.

My dad was a Marvel Zombie as the saying goes. He has several early issues of Spider-Man, Iron Man, The Hulk, and many other Marvel staples. His few forays into the DC universe were mostly Green Lantern based.

Pictured above is the cover to his sole Batman item. With a cover date of March 1968, Batman 200 was eventually gifted to me. It remains a prized possession to this date. Next year the Batman comic will be publishing its 7ooth issue.

I have stepped away from comic collecting due to personal finances and shrinking storage, but Monkey-Girl was clear that she wanted me to keep them to share with our kids. This particular comic will be handed down to a third generation some day.



SPECIAL 200th POST BONUS CONTENT!

Here's a dirty little secret. I'm currently watching my favorite movie I'm too ashamed actually own. If you've seen the size of my DVD collection you'd understand why that's notable. I'll just say that the movie can be seen on basic cable at least once a week on TBS, USA, and now Lifetime.

I'm completing the mood with some fresh baked Ginger Beer Bread.

  • 3 cups AP Flour
  • 1TBSP Sugar
  • 1tsp Salt
  • 1 TBSP Baking Powder
  • 12 oz Ginger Beer (Stewart's is the best)
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Mix first four ingredients.
  3. Pour in soda and mix thoroughly.
  4. Bake in loaf pan until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (About 45 minutes.)

Great with ANY carbonated, non-diet beverage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was a fabulous 200th post. I have to say that I was a little disappointed when you didn't acknowledge Tuesday as being a square root day, but this was worth the wait. Take care and on to 201!Love, Gramma Berger

Anonymous said...

Glad you got in touch with your dad. I also was waiting to hear about square root day you being a math geek and all. Looking forward to the next 2001.
Love, Grammy

Anonymous said...

Gratz on 200 posts Matt! I'm glad you brought up comics since they were such a fun part of our childhood. I'm sorry your a DC freak but at least you love the best character in their universe. I'll back dad on the awesomeness that is Marvel. CHEERS! Say hi to Anne and the little one and send them our best.

Gamer Queen said...

Yay 200 posts, and yay for Batman! Love you guys, and give your ladies a hug for me.

Auntie E