Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Let's All Take a Breath


"This is far from over."

I've seen those words or words expressing the same sentiment several times today. I understand that. No one likes being on the losing side of any competition.

I witnessed a lot of smug attitudes. That's also understandable. The taste of victory may be the sweetest of all.

I saw a lot of people today living their lives like nothing has changed. Truth be told, as long as we--as a nation--cannot learn to work together, nothing WILL change. The people fighting one another for the chance to speechify in Washington don't do it for us. They do it for themselves. As long as they can set the extremists against each other those of us in the middle will be too distracted to see that nothing really changes.

As I've said before, I'm striving to overcome my pessimism. As I look to the future, I can't shake the sickening feeling that . . .

This is far from over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have an instant gut reaction of anger and dislike to the Republican party, but it wasn't always that way. I remember a time, before the Bush administration, when Democrats and Republicans worked together for the betterment of the nation and the world, when voters on both sides agreed to disagree, and when the nation as a whole knew where it was going and what it was doing. But these days we are so set into an "us against them" mentality, where if we tried we could find more in common with our political opposites than different, but we don't want to try. Our political leadership is telling us to hate and fight and be afraid, and we are eating it up with a spoon. How many people voted on Tuesday with their only thought in mind was a single issue? How many voted out of fear of what the future would bring? How many voted out of hate or anger? I am ashamed to say it, but I was almost one of those last people, being so angry and disappointed in our government that I voted out of rage rather than sense. I caught myself in time, but I could have been one of the many who wasn't thinking clearly when I filled in that little black oval.

I agree; this is far from over. But I say that with hope, not anger, in my voice. I hope that someday sooner rather than later, we can all find common ground again.

-Elizabeth