Friday, March 5, 2010

Food Day

We had a lovely dinner. The salmon was cooked through but moist and flavorful. The rice was chewy and delicious. The white asparagus, a new dish for us, was a bit fibrous. (Who knew you had to peel it?) This turned out to be the capstone to a food-centric day.

Happy: I met the kindest little old lady at the seafood counter. She is the essence of what I have fallen in love with here. People here don't let something like not knowing a person prevent them from speaking their mind. This has led to many a person stopping the Phoebster and me while running errands just so they could heap praise on Phoeb-a-loo. Doting father that I am, I just thought it was the cuteness exuded by my daughter. Not so! The times I have taken Phoeb-a-doo-dah out in other communities, or--heaven forbid--back in Wisconsin, people will see her, smile SLIGHTLY to themselves, and return to their own business.

My fellow fish fan (alliteration!) was a sight to behold. A wig that could not have fooled a blind man sat upon her proud head. Her out-of-date jacket and slacks were impeccable. Her make up perfectly complimented her features . . . twenty years ago.

Yet, the conversation about salmon and how we prepared it was delightful. We passed the time joyfully while out orders were filled. After a time we departed, she with her freshly steamed Cajun shrimp, and I with tonight's entree.

Sad: I forgot my lunch today. That meant I had to buy something from a fast food place or from the deli of the nearby grocery store. Either way, my chances of having a healthy option were slim.

It's like a part of my subconscious WANTS to be fat and broke.

No comments: