Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Introducing Happy/Sad

I was listening to a favorite podio book author today as he interviewed a couple fellow podcasters who happen to be a couple. As they were wrapping up, J. C. mentioned a favorite part of their podcast. It's called High/Low. They both mention the high and low points of their day.

You may have noticed that I have been lacking in updates lately. Well, this may be motivation enough for me.

Happy: This idea coming to me! Seriously. I've been feeling guilty about not updating lately, but I haven't felt all that inspired either. I really do hope this breaks the slump.

Sad: My colleague be a complete tool. A nameless fool I work with has earned more than a few silent head shakes from me since I started my new job, but what I'm hearing lately is starting to steam me.

I'm sure we've all worked with a hypossip. (That's a combination of a hypocrite and gossip for those keeping score.) This is the person who warns you early on to be careful about who you say what to and then launches into a discussion of what everyone does or says.

Today, a student of mine asked if I was doing okay for hours at work. After assuring her that I was fine, I asked why she was concerned. Apparently, my hypossip has been talking to anyone who will listen about how the tutors aren't getting their hours. According to her, we're just sitting there and not tutoring.

First, this is just false AND I have evidence. Each time we meet with a student, they fill out a survey for the tutoring labs records. Therefore, it's a matter of public record that I meet with students at least an hour every day. Second, what am I supposed to do when students don't come into the lab for help? Disappear only to reappear when a student walks in needing help with their math? I am contracted for my TIME. I am available one hour and forty-five minutes every day. If no one comes in, I'm still there and NOT at home doing things for myself and family. Third and last, SHE'S NOT MY BOSS! Why is she in such a tizzy about my hours and sharing announcing her opinion to students?

1 comment:

Gamer Queen said...

This is a really great idea, and I'm glad it's inspiring you.

Everybody has a co-worker like that and they SUCK. I hope they shut their mouth about you because it isn't right to air other people's business, especially when it's a lie! (If you can't tell, these kind of people really really irritate me. I loathe both hypocrites and gossip mongers, and combos are the worst.)

If you want I can fly down their and break her knee caps, or chew her out. But that would probably just make the situation worse. =-)