Saturday, November 21, 2009

Fantasy & Science Fiction

For over sixty years Fantasy & Science Fiction has been the premier magazine of--well, fantasy and science fiction short stories. This title has hosted the likes of Issac Asimov, Kurt Vonnegut, Ray Bradbury, Stephen King, and many more giants of genre fiction. It was the original home of "Flowers for Algernon," and "The Gunslinger."

In an age of compressing literature markets, the publication has been struggling to stay afloat. Just this past year they have gone to a bimonthly schedule from their previous 11 times a year. The stories they currently publish are still top notch and garner awards every year.

Some say the short form is dead and the novel is the only way for a writer to make money in this day and age. I say short fiction is where all the exciting writing is being done. One can experiment with 7,500 words in a way one can't with 100,000. The great thing about F&SF is if you don't like something you don't have to struggle for very long to get through it, or--if it's truly unbearable--you can skip to the next one.

A yearly subscription costs under $35 and nets you six 250+ page volumes. If you want a variety of good stories you can't go wrong. I know I'll be re-upping for another two years when I get the cash.

3 comments:

Gamer Queen said...

I didn't realize it was so inexpensive. I used to subscribe when Uncle Double A and I first moved out, but canceled after two years. I freaking love this publication, and now that I know the relative price, I can re-subscribe. Yay!

I agree with you on short stories. While the novel is my first choice, I love this publication in particular because it's a great way to flag up and coming writers and hope for a book in the future. And, agreed, if the story sucks, you can immediately move on to the next without wasting too much of your time.

Congrats on the word count bro. I hope birthday/Thanksgiving celebrations don't cut too much into your writing time. My fingers are crossed and I'ma hopin' for ya.

Love from WI,
Aunt E (and Uncle Double A)

Anonymous said...

Wow 1 week left and you are on target! Keep it up. Hope you have a great Birthday week and can keep up on the writing.
Love, Grammy

Gamer Queen said...

Over 80%! Yay! Keep on truckin' bro!