Friday, November 27, 2009

Turkey Day Round-Up

I woke up Thanksgiving morning at about 8:00 am. That's sleeping in for me. I ate a lovely breakfast of scrambled eggs and cheese with the girls. We played together and started to watch Macy's parade. Eventually, I started getting THE MEAL together.

The turkey had been brining over night and needed to be trussed. This is always daunting as I am an oaf with string. It took me nearly twenty minutes to bind the bird, but the results are always impressive. As you can see, the product is Rockwellesque. I credit that to trussing. As my personal culinary Yoda--Alton Brown--says, "a good trussing lifts and separates." Now, what's more American than striving for a more buxom dinner?

Dinner--served at 2:00 pm--was lovely. Phoeb-a-lou discovered the wonders of dinner rolls dipped in cranberry sauce and turkey dipped in gravy. (The best gravy I've ever made. You don't even know!)

Through the miracle of DVR I was able to watch the parade while Mthr. M-G put away leftovers. (Thank you, thank you, thank you.) We then played with Phoeb-a-licious until her actual dinner time. She had her first taste of Thanksgiving leftovers and fell in love with cranberry sauce all over again. Sweet potatoes wound up in her hair mostly.

Bath night.

Mthr. M-G and I ended the day watching the Packers beat up the poor, poor Lions. (I LOVE DVR!) I then dove into writing. I've only got a few days left and a house full of wonderful distractions will be here at noon tomorrow.

Wish me luck! Before bed, though--a shower!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great going kid. I also watched what I could of Macy's. Watched the game which was wonderful. All of the cherry crisp was eaten before I could even get a bite. Did not have to do any clean up or even help before.Glad to here that at least one of my granddaughters likes cranberries. Have a great weekend with your company. But don't forget your writing. love,Mom

Gamer Queen said...

98.6% OMG you are almost done! Only a teensy bit left to go bro. Keep up the good work!

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving! I am glad you had such a great day. Much love from the wintry north!

Aunt E

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are getting to the end even with all the company. Gberger is doing a good job keeping you on track. Love,Mom