Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Samurai X Sudoku

Has the sudoku fad died out yet?

I don't care. I enjoy it. As a math teacher, I'm almost obligated to. Here's a bit of professional insight. There's very little math involved in solving a sudoku puzzle. Sure there's logic, a valuable mathematics tool, but certainly not enough actual mathematics to justify Shanghaiing math classrooms across America. Numbers are just symbols being used to hold places in the puzzle. You can use letters, shapes, colors . . . anything!

In spite of that, I still like it as a personal distraction. I just don't subject my students to it.

Now for the rules:
1) Use the digits 1 through 9 to fill in every cell of the puzzle.
2) Each digit may only be used once in each row, column, nine-box-square, and diagonal within each colored area.
3) Some colored areas do overlap.
4) There is only one unique solution.
5) The puzzle can be solved using only logic. No guessing required.

Dare you face the dreaded Samurai X?

No comments: