Sunday, July 20, 2008

Best Candy Ever?

I have loved Sour Patch Kids since their introduction in 1985. I was the perfect age to be suckered in by their anti-Xavier Roberts ad campaign and "adults hate it" flavor.

Unlike many of my compatriots, I have been consistently enjoying these little guys for the last twenty-plus years. I remember a time when they were only seen for sale by weight from a candy counter. The open air storage of those early SPKs is likely what led to my preference for stale gummies of all stripes. Yes, I have a texture preference in my Sour Patch Kids. I know that makes me weirdo. I don't care. I proudly fly my freak flag for this and other issues.

Now, I must admit, it has been a few years since I've burned off my taste buds with citric acid due to what can only be described as SPK overdose. However, the exact number of years can be counted on one hand. To be even more exact, Roland Deschain of Stephen King's Dark Tower cycle could count them on the remainder of his right hand. How's that for geekiness?

Monkey-Girl needed to get away from Phoebe and the house for a little while today. When she came back, besides being recharged, she had a bag of these delicious bits of heaven.

She's an angel.

No comments: