Monday, July 21, 2008

Still My Hero

After nearly seventy years, Batman is still my favorite superhero. I'm a little pained that I haven't been able to The Dark Knight yet. Such are the joys of fatherhood. I wouldn't give Phoebe up for anything, mind you, I'd just like to see my guy on the big screen.

I remember the summer of 1989. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was released some weeks prior to Tim Burton's Batman. Nineteen years later and history's repeating itself. I must have seen Michael Keaton in foam rubber and Jack Nicholson chewing scenery at least a half-dozen times before starting middle school that fall.

My personal Batmania doesn't even begin there. I remember being a little guy in my parents' first apartment. I divided my time between reenacting scenes from The Empire Strikes Back and watching reruns of Adam West and Burt Ward camping it up in their '60s vehicle.

It seems Batman has been with me for as long as I can remember. Someday I'll be able to share my love of the Caped Crusader with my Phoebster.

The poor girl doesn't stand a chance.

1 comment:

Gamer Queen said...

You call her the Phoebster too!?!?! I figured that was just a cute nickname I came up with in my head a few hours after you called about her momentous arrival into the world! But I call Charlotte the Chuckster too... probably just a naming scheme for Auntie E. And I love The Caped Crusader more than any other superhero, but thats probably because I have a heroic image of my oldest brother. =-) Love you! And I haven't seen the new movie either, but I will be thinking of all 3 of you when I finally do!