Thursday, July 17, 2008

Crafty Monkey

Adorning the wall above Phoebe's crib is my newest crafty endeavor. We call it Monkey-Face-Rug. Well, we would if we referred to it often enough to give it a name.

When making the hour-and-a-half trek to our "nearest" Hobby Lobby to find the last skein of floss for Wheeljack, I saw this guys ugly mug beneath a sign stating, "Latch Hook Rug Kits 50% Off." That's probably the longest sentence I've written in a quite a while. For five bucks, who could pass up the opportunity to craft one's own monkey head? Actually it was five for the kit and 2 for the latch hook. Still, for seven dollars who wouldn't want their own monkey head. Then there's the 9.25% Tennessee sales tax. Yet who could pass up -- never mind.

Latch hooking is a pretty fun craft. It's very quick which can be very gratifying, but there's something inexpressibly empty about it. I don't know. There are dog people and cat people. We, as a society, have come to accept that and let it be. Perhaps I'm just a cross stitch person.

At the end of the day, I just hope that Phoebe appreciates her Monkey-Face-Rug guardian. If not, it was $7.65.

No comments: