Saturday, July 19, 2008

Raising My Daughter on the Classics

I just got done watching Clash of the Titans, Ray Harryhausen's 1981 stop-motion special effects opus. My siblings and wife are all too young to remember this film. I was in love with the thing.

I remember Christmas Eve '81 receiving the Kraken toy and experiencing the joy of owning a toy that could eat my 3.75 inch action figures for breakfast. He was the king of my toy shelf for many months. In fact, he was one of the few privileged toys of mine to cross dimensions into other toy mythologies. Darth Vader would often call in Kraken's four mighty arms to deliver some hurt. He-Man stood a better chance against him, but only by cowering in Castle Grayskull. I don't think Kraken survived to meet the likes of the Transformers, but I'm pretty sure it would have taken Omega Supreme to make him break a sweat.

I felt it was my duty to introduce Phoebe to the magic of obscure cinema monsters. Through Netflix's streaming videos, I think I've set her on the right path.

No comments: