Thursday, October 22, 2009

Deal of the Week by the Numbers


30-day trial for FYE's Backstage Pass program: Free with DVD deposit

FYE exclusive Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen Steelcase retail price: $35.99 plus tax

Sale price: $24.99 plus tax

minus $5.00 deposit: $19.99 plus tax

minus $5.00 coupon from Backstage Pass: $14.99 plus tax

Balance on $20.00 FYE gift card (with Backstage Pass enrollment) after DVD purchase: $2.89

Rebate for Steelbook purchase: $3.00

Therefore: I paid $5.35 to reserve this DVD. I used a $0.41 $0.44 stamp to mail in the rebate. ($5.76 $5.79 total for those still playing along.) I'll be getting $3.00 back from FYE and I still have $2.89 in credit at FYE.

Basically, I was GIVEN this exclusive DVD and 13 10 cents.

UPDATE: My wonderful mother-in-law pointed out that first class postage for a 1 oz or less letter is now $0.44. With the nearly-as-wonderful Forever stamps, however, I COULD have spent just $0.41 to mail in my rebate. I didn't, but I COULD have.

3 comments:

Ben said...

WTF guy. You had nothing prior to this for them right? Just had to sign up for a trial 30 day of something (of which do you have to go back and cancel?) and scored some store credit AND got a DVD?

Call me with the details, I will totally abuse this over at the mall next time I go to work at Game Stop.

Just to let you know too, now that I work at PetCo a friends and family thing is coming up at work (celebrating their 1000th store opening) and I can get 20% off anything there. Let me know if you need anything for Merc.

I have this Sunday and Saturday off next week. Drop me a line if you are free just to catch up. Keep up the quality posting. I check it daily still.

Anonymous said...

You are truly amazing, except isn't postage $.44? I hope then whole thing isn't screwed by a $.03 error...miss you and your family. Love the blogging. hs

Unknown said...

When you use a credit card at FYE they try to sign you up for Backstage Pass. You get a 30-day trial and then they start automatically charging your card a monthly fee. Cancel by calling the 800 number ASAP.

With the initial sign up, you get a package of paperwork including your $5 coupon and a postage paid card to mail away for your $20 gift card. My card took about five weeks to arrive.

There just happened to be enough time between putting down my deposit and the DVD's arrival for my card to come.

The mail-in rebate was a neat surprise I wasn't expecting.

I guess the universe wanted me to have this DVD for free.