Friday, October 23, 2009

John Carpenter: Hit or Miss

In an effort to acknowledge the fact that I had a theme for October at one point, I will discuss my feelings on the films of John Carpenter. This was provoked by Mthr. M-G renting John Carpenter's Vampires from Netflix. That's right. I'm totally selling her out on this. It was HER idea to rent this "film."

What I like:
Halloween (1978) - a horror classic. To say more would only diminish it.
The Thing (1982) - a great horror movie that is acted very well.
Christine (1983) - a good Stephen King horror movie that wasn't chewed up by Jack Nicholson.
Big Trouble in Little China (1986) - camp-tastic!

What I hate:
Starman (1984) - I don't get how this got a television spin-off. Then again, so did Gung Ho.
They Live (1988) - "Rowdy" Roddy Piper's break out film role. Haven't heard of Mr. Piper outside of wrestling? This is why.
Memoirs of an Invisible Man (1992) - Chevy Chase and Daryl Hannah in a movie that doesn't know if it's a comedy, spy thriller, or just crap.
Vampires (1998) - James Woods is a great voice-over actor. He brought all the subtlety he picked up in the sound booth to bare on this live-action dry heave. The info dumps every twenty minutes and Daniel Baldwin as co-star don't help.

I know this is a small slice of the man's filmography. Most of his other movies don't seem good enough for me to like or bad enough for me to like making fun of. I'm just amazed by the extremes of my reactions to this man's professional effort.

No comments: