Saturday, October 24, 2009

Haunted by Poe

I admit that I had this in mind when I first heard about NaBloPoMo's October theme. Haunted is the second album by singer songwriter Poe. It is the companion piece to the novel House of Leaves written by her brother, Mark Z. Danielewski. After their father's death, the two of them found a box of audio tapes recorded by their father for them dating back to their early childhood. The separate works were created in response to their father's tapes and released simultaneously.

The album is a wonderful artistic if not commercial work. It includes samples of her fathers recordings and characters from her brother's book. Mthr. M-G and I find the album to be one of the few we listen to from beginning to end rather than in our shuffle of music.

The book remains one of my favorites. Scenes from the novel still haunt me today. The layout of the book helps to tell the story. There are passages where single words are on each page forcing the reader to rapidly turn pages to find out what's going to happen next, thus increasing the tension in a physical sense and enhancing the psychological effect.

I highly recommend experiencing the book and album together. That is if you can handle a great ghost story.

1 comment:

Gamer Queen said...

Big old WOW from me. I love the book and artist separately but never in a million years realized that the song artist and the author were related, let alone released their works as a simultaneous effort. I will now have to purchase the album and listen to it before a re-read of the novel. Thank you for the wake up call! Again, WOW.